Monday, January 16, 2012

Khan Academy

A homeschooling family alerted me to Khan Academy, a free educational site that uses videos for teaching. The site is: www.khanacademy.com. I checked it out and it looks great. A student in the Diploma Program wrote about it in his report, so here's what he says:

"So one of the things that I want to share with you to day is Khan Academy. It’s a non-profit organization with the goal of giving a free world class education to anyone! I use it all the time for anything I am having trouble with.  It is just easier than a book sometimes because of the in-depth explanations.  The guy that does the extensive video library is an amazing teacher.  He is able to break things down until it is very basic and so much easier to understand.  It is really nice to have the option of this site, because in my experience with some people if you don’t “get” a topic you get the vibe that they think you are just stupid.  We all learn differently and what works for me may very well not work for the next person.  I like that I have the option of the tutorials for the times when I just don’t “get it” otherwise.  Along with their video library they also provide practice sets for all the videos.  So after you are done you can do the exercises on what you just learned to help commit the information to memory.  I feel like it is similar to having a personal tutor."

No comments:

Post a Comment