Friday, July 2, 2010

Reflections on a Life of Change

A 2010 Colorado USA graduate reflects on the ups and downs of her last 4 years

"I never knew I could change or watch others change SO much in such a short period of time.  Some things have definitely stayed the same but some things really haven't.  In just four short years I have carried at least 5 different jobs (maybe more!) and I have had 2 new baby brothers born into my family.  I’ve fallen in love with a sweet, young kid and fallen out of love with the same, stupid kid.  I’m really happy with all of my decisions so far, even if they’ve hurt me a lot.  It is through pain and redemption that I am able to find and understand more of myself.  And let me tell you, high school has been painful and, at some points, redemptive.  I've met so many people, learned quite a few hard lessons, and there are things I've learned that before I never used to consider as important.  I've changed my mind a million times and I've failed in enough situations to know how much it hurts.  I've also stuck with a few of my values and I've succeeded enough to know how powerful the taste of ambition is, and the sweetness that comes after you've accomplished your goal.  I've loved and lost.  I've loved and gained.  I've lived with my mother, my father, and my basketball coach in the course of just 3 years and that, more than anything, has really opened my eyes to the diversity that exists just within my own small world.  Family dynamics are such unique and complicated things and I've really enjoyed moving around and finding the small differentiating details.  So far, the best place I've lived is with my coach, Monte, and his wife, Kiva.  I love the way this household is run--efficiently, smoothly, and most of all, honestly.  Everyone is usually on the same page and if we're not, we make sure we get to the same page within an hour or so. Communication is clear and prominent and respect is the foundation for all of our relationships.  It's a beautiful thing, to be able to come home to a place that is calm and well rounded, through both people and vibes.  It's like having a recharge station... and I've never had that before...

"...As of right now, I’m enjoying my last summer of financial freedom (since I have minimal bills and all that good stuff) and I’m looking forward to my new experiences as a college student.  High school has been an incredible experience for me and now I am ready to move on to bigger and better things, both academically and personally!  So thank you for this wonderful program and the chance to write all of my experiences and thoughts down for the past 6-8 months.  I’m glad I got the opportunity to do this and I’m so thankful for the fact that I will be able to have an actual diploma at the end of it all.  You’ve really made a difference for me and my future and I thank you for that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment